- Liquid diet for the first 24 hours. Nothing through a straw (Ensure/Boost, protein shakes, fruit smoothies, soups, yogurt, applesauce, pudding, ice cream, mashed potatoes, etc.). The next day soft foods such as noodles, scrambled eggs, oatmeal, etc.
- Ice your face today and tomorrow. Start using warm moist heat packs the 3rd day.
- Alternate Peridex mouth rinse (2-3 times daily) and warm salt water (3-4 times daily) the morning after your surgery.
- Start your antibiotics the day of your surgery—please finish them.
- Turn key as instructed by your orthodontist.
Follow the instructions below that involve the sinus area.
Care of the Area Involving the Sinus
- Keep the gauze pressure pack that you are biting on presently in place and do not change it for one (1) hour. After that, replace the gauze pressure pack with the ones we have given you every half hour as long as there is any oozing. Discontinue gauze pressure packs after six hours.
- Fill your prescription for antibiotics and take the medication as directed. Obtain from the pharmacy some decongestants such as ACTIFED or SUDAFED (over the counter type medications). Use these as directed for the next 48 hours. Use a nasal spray such as AFRIN if nasal congestion remains.
- Be sure to drink plenty of fluids.
It is important that you keep your post-operative appointment. Return sooner if you feel there is no improvement in the next 48 hours. Do not hesitate to contact our office if you have questions or concerns: Anchorage Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Office Phone Number 907-562-9939.
- Blow your nose for one week.
- Suck through a straw for one week.
- Smoke for 24 hours.
- Eat spicy foods.